Skip to main content

Oral sex: What is the risk?

Question: Dear doctor, I shamelessly committed the sin of oral sex outside of my happy marriage. I am now feeling terribly guilty, but my question to you is regarding the HIV risk for the receiver of oral sex.


Answer: There is little to no risk for transmission of HIV when you receive oral sex. The risk is almost 0%. You will not be infected because of this exposure and can relax.

Take care!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

False Positive HIV Antibody Test

Question: I did a rapid test in my home for detection of HIV. There was a faint line. Is it possible that this was a false positive?  Answer: It appears that the test was not done correctly. You should follow the instructions carefully when you do this test at home. At present, I would recommend a blood test in the lab or hospital. It is possible that this was a false positive. Since this test is very sensitive a possibility of a false positive result is always there. Love yourself!

Sharing a razor with a HIV positive person

Question: I am afraid that my barber will use a razor that was previously used on an HIV positive person. Is transmission of HIV possible? Answer: HIV virus is very fragile and will not survive more than a few seconds in the environment. Transmission of infection is most common in a closed environment such as during sexual intercourse. So, the risk of transmission in this scenario is only theoretical and practically transmission via this route is very unlikely. Love yourself!